Upload attempt

Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:19 pm

(If you can see this image...)
DSC01229_Gerald_K_2.jpg

- Start with a quite thin hollow form (I made the top and bottom separately of poplar, then glued together).
- Spend several different sessions gluing the branch pieces to the form.
- Wrap plastic around the whole thing.
- Pour in epoxy resin in batches to avoid overheating during curing.
- Place back on lathe and grind/sand back the resin to reveal the pattern you see.
- Polish / finish as desired.
gkornelsen

Re: Upload attempt

Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:53 pm

Gerald,
thanks for sharing! this is a beautiful piece - can't imagine how many hours gluing all those pieces on!
Can I ask how many batches of resin and did you have any issues with bubbles/holes in the epoxy?
thanks
Colleen
admin
Site Admin

Re: Upload attempt

Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:01 pm

I usually mix about a cup at a time. This piece took at least 5 batches. I use Bondo Phase 2, which is intended for autobody fiberglass repairs. It is a grey/green coulur, but can be tinted with powder dyes. I have recently found a Canadian supplier for Alumilite water clear, so may get a jug of that.

I previously did one like this and mixed about 4 cups at once, and the thing started to smoke. It was way too hot to touch, and cracked a lot while cooling/curing. It is still laying in the corner of the shop, waiting for inspiration or disposal.

Gerald
gkornelsen

Return to Gallery